Friday, February 22, 2013

A Little Confession......

So, I have a confession.…..I hate recycling. I hate it so much. The only reason I even do it is because I’m afraid I’ll get in trouble with my husband if I don’t. And sometimes when I do skip it, I notice that he finds my un-recycled items and pulls them back out of the trash and separates them properly. Then I feel guilty and I hate feeling guilty (almost as much as recycling).  My lazy ass decided not to take the time to sort something out and then he had to do it for me and he could hold that over me later. And what is marriage if not a place to tally up the things you can hold over your spouse? Wait, that’s not what marriage is and anyway, that is not the point of this post. The point is, that I hate to recycle. It’s not so much the concept as it is the actual act. I hate separating my trash. Shouldn’t there be some sort of giant machine that does this by now? I envision it being some sort of large slide. It would sort and distribute trash appropriately, by pile, or bin, whatever.  Second, given that pretty much everything is recyclable now a days, why are we putting things in the recycling bin, shouldn’t there really just be a bin for trash and a separate container for the few things that aren’t recyclable? Wouldn’t that make more sense?  You see these are the questions that come to mind every time I put a toilet paper roll in the trash and realize it should come out. Now before you judge me too much, please note that despite hating it, I shall continue to do so. I mean, I care about our children’s children, and the ocean, and rainforests, and all of that. I just hate actually having to separate my trash.

Here’s the thing though…..I am a bit of a liar. Because really, what I really love, is saving furniture from the trash. Now that falls in to some other sort of category, except it doesn’t and the truth is that for all my talk, I am really nothing more that a furniture recycling addict. Which brings me to my final point, I love nothing more than saving a piece furniture that someone else has decided to throw away and turning it into something usable.Which is what we have here, a piece headed to the garbage, which now serves as my "all things front door" related holder.


So this is what it looked like when I picked it up off the side of the road:
Click below for finished product......



So a little bit of sanding, then some paint and gold leaf for the edges. Gold leaf is both awesome and infuriating. It's enough to drive you slowly slowly mad, but oh my God, it's so fun! Finally, I added some new hardware.

No comments:

Post a Comment