Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Mid Century Modern Dresser

I'm a little in love with anything mid century modern lately. I love the lines, the angles, and how modern the furniture can be without feeling cold. In a world where I live in a fantastic loft that over looks central park, my loft would be full of modern sleek lines and it wouldn't seem cold just fresh and hip. But I don't live in a loft. I live in Michigan and my house here would just look silly stocked full of contemporary pieces. So instead, I'll just use touches of modernism and I'll be sure to include mid centruy modern pieces as I am convinced they can fit into anyone's decor.

I also love that there seems to be an endless supply of pieces out there that people are trying to get rid of. They're at garage sales, consignment stores and maybe even a few lawns on trash day. With easy to find pieces it gives me the opportunity to try all sorts of ideas. Sometimes, it's hard to make a decision on how to redo a piece but if I know there's something similar out there, I'm less daunted by that task knowing I can always find another piece to try my other ideas on.

Anyway, I knew exactly what I wanted to do to this piece as I went looking for something like it for our master bedroom. So it wasn't hard to find, and it was pretty easy to redo as well.

Here's the dresser before:




Click below to see the finished product:
 

The piece was in pretty good shape, but I had to use a bit of wood filler to cover up some damage on the sides. Then I sanded the piece down, applied a coat of primer and finally used white satin spray paint on the outside. I actually regret using satin and when summer comes back around, I'll be applying a coat of high gloss instead. This gets way too much traffic for a satin finish. The drawers were done by sanding lightly first and then they were stained with a few random coats of stain I had hanging around the garage. They were finished off with a danish sealent as the top coat.

Kyle


1 comment: